Surfing Philippines | Siargao in August

Sunset from Alegria, the northern tip of Siargao

August is off-season in Siargao, the surfing capital of the Philippines. Waves are small to nonexistent most of the month, relying on occasional typhoon swells during this time. I normally wouldn't be here if it weren't for my mom's birthday and my belief that our time together is running out. 

Online guides say August is the beginning of peak season but the locals always point to the "-ber" months (September, October, November, December) being the real peak season. My recent experience corroborated this. August 2026 showed some promise with a few good days of swell at the beginning of the month before petering out to a 1.5 week flat spell punctuated by an anticlimactic swell that died on arrival at the end of the month. When the surf forecasting models can't agree on what the hell is gonna happen and change their forecasts twice a day, every day, you're in for disappointment.

I fled the wave-starved north to ride something - anything - down in the southern end of the island where General Luna is. Hey, 2-3ft is better than 0-1ft, right? Energy was super low: less than 50kJ during the dry spells, hardly stronger than the swipe of a puppy tail. It's bonanza for beginners. Everyone else will go bonkers from wave thirst.

Secret Beach's sleepy off-season


Surf Spots

I've already reviewed some surf spots in previous posts on Southern Siargao and Northern Siargao, but I'll add a couple new ones here plus a few updates. These are all on the east side of the island and can take any swell with an E in it.

Little Hawaii

Little Hawaii

This long stretch of photogenic A-frames with wide peaks located in front of the concrete embankment between Garcia and Bitaug is a great place to find solitude. You can often have a peak all to yourself. Watch for the sharp reef near the shore on the southern end. Also watch for the sunset, the light on the waves is endearing. Best at mid-tide or higher. Low tide is, uh, very low: you'll be playing footsies with coral bommies while sitting on your board here.



Douglas, a.k.a. Smokin' Joe's

Super sucky, super shallow left-hander in Burgos, just north of Innertubes. It was mostly closeouts when I went. I haven't figure out yet what directions really light this place up.

Innertubes

The break that put Burgos on the surfing map and a favorite for barrel hunters looking to escape the General Luna crowds. A shallow reef break that can be surfed at all tides - even low tide, if you're willing to risk some skin (just don't surf it in all the way back to shore... you will catch a fin on the ankle-deep part of the reef). It is somehow crowded with surf schools of beginners that probably shouldn't be at a break like that, but on some days this was really the only thing breaking. Park at the beach parking lot in front of Huna Surf Shop and walk in. 

Huna Surf Shop in Burgos


Ischong

The beginner break just south of Innertubes, on the other side of the channel. It's the first break you see when you walk to the beach from Huna Surf Shop. It's slightly deeper than Innertubes but still shallow enough that you can walk your board out to the break. The middle section is a wide closeout but the whitewater is good for people new to surfing. You can pick off some quick corners on either end. The  shoulder on the left (when facing the wave) is longer than the right.

Innertubes on the left, Ischong on the right

Angel

The fatter, taller, peeling break to the south of Ischong, in front of the Davies mural on the concrete wave barrier. It didn't break often - it seemed to need 2-meter swells - but it offers very long rights with fun walls (walls of water, not the concrete walls with murals on them... though I guess those can be fun too). It's known as a longboarder break, but I had a blast (and my best session in August) even on a shortboard. Speed management is the name of the game here. Cutback to stay near the pocket and tic-tac through the mushy sections until the wave reforms.

69

The outer break to Angel. It's a farther paddle out but it's deep enough if you really need to surf when it's low tide and all other breaks have turned into dry reef. Hazards include a couple of brown, rocky patches next to the takeoff zone. Barreling right-handers on bigger days, spilling waves on others.

Big Wish

If all points farther north are shut down, come down to Pacifico. Even when Surfline says it's only 1-2 ft, this place can give you that rip-your-clothes-like-a-force-of-nature that a wave should be. Goddamn, those left-handers gave me the backside tingles. Just make sure to get out before low tide so you're not landing in ankle-deep water.

Big Wish off-season

Tahiti

Tahiti offers respite from the crowds when Cloud 9 and Quicksilver are overloaded at dawn. Downside is, it doesn't break as often as the adjacent spots. Midlengths and longboards do best here as the waves are small but pack enough punch to get you to the reform if you play your cards right. Flat reef that's easy on the feet. 

Tahiti off in the distance


Bumi

Left-handers on a shallow reef patch in the middle of the ocean, next to Stimpy's. Often blown out so go in the early morning - like 5:30am. Low tide was super shallow. Water only went up to my knees. It was pretty messy and underwhelming when I went. It looked better from a distance while sitting at Tahiti the day before. Also, the boat broke down on the way back to the island, so we waited for a tow. Full-on Island Experience.

Bumi at low tide

Food & Lodging

I usually stay at Tangbo Surf House when I'm up north but down south I stayed at Anantha. It has the only air-conditioned gym on the island that's accessible to the public. You don't have to be a guest at Anantha; you can pay for a day pass or a membership. The only other places with an air-conditioned gym are Trogon's Perch and Nay Palad Hideaway but they are exclusive to hotel guests. Anantha is fully solar-powered so it didn't experience the electrical hiccups that places that depend on Siarelco (the local power company) do. Anantha also offers yoga, pilates, sound baths, and an onsite cafe.

Anantha's air-conditioned gym

I tried some new food options during this trip. I'm particularly astounded by the rise of vegan and vegetarian fare in General Luna:

Yolked

Though the eggs benny are delicious, Yolked is more than an egg restaurant. They also offer watercolor paints to play with while you wait for your food. The mashup of art and food has been a hit downtime activity. Another mashup I recommend trying is their filipino beef stew called "kalde & mash". 

Paint and eat at Yolked

On Thursday nights, this unassuming restaurant turns into a concrete warehouse rave, with guest DJs as well as local ones. A DJ from Taiwan played a bass-heavy set that sent shockwaves through our chests and pounded our heads against a sonic wall until egos cracked open for a cathartic soul release. It was musical group therapy. Everybody be huggin'. I hear they also do reggaeton and afrobeat Monday nights now.

Meraki Bakery

Talk of the town! Meraki is worth a trip to San Isidro for their cinnamon rolls, ube babka and other earthly delights. Owned by a single mom who returned home from the U.S. and now trying to rebuild her life without a baby daddy who wants no part in their adorable daughter's life. If you have any idea how hard it is to be a single parent, support her business.

Ver De

Ver De is a plant-based restaurant in General Luna. Nutritious and delicious. Your butt will thank you later. Has a fine collection of self-help books, such as Adult Children of Emotionally Immature Parents. Beware, you might end up staying at the restaurant all day to finish reading.

Masala

Tired of filipino food already? Try this plant-based Indian restaurant inside the Emerald House dive resort. Free chai with your main dish.

Conclusion

I would skip August if you're looking to surf Siargao. Unless you're a beginner. Or someone with spare hobbies* and a lot of patience. If you're into kitesurfing or windsurfing, the northwest side of the island gets plenty windy at this time. 


Footnotes

* = There's also a bunch of wellness activities that have sprung up in General Luna that I've just begun to take note of. It's like a little Nosara (or, dare we say, Sedona - eep!) on this side of the Pacific. Seriously, though, Siargao can be magical even without waves. Riding a scooter on quiet roads passing through rice fields and coconut plantations on one side and coastal views on the other reminds me that the journey is the point.

It's also pretty f*ing magical when you recognize a person here that you saw in a vision years ago. Yes, sometimes I dream of people I will meet in the future. Does that mean we're stuck in a loop? We're living the same life over and over? Or am I recognizing somebody from a parallel universe? Or am I manifesting my entire world as I go? Does anyone else get visions like that? Am I an oracle? Can oracles control what they see? If so, how do I see what the winning Powerball lottery numbers will be? Do tell, pretty please. Asking for a friend.

Surfing Philippines | Siargao in August Surfing Philippines | Siargao in August Reviewed by beachplease on September 06, 2026 Rating: 5
Powered by Blogger.